#1  
Old 13th April 2005, 11:41 PM
Srinivasan Iyer
 
Posts: n/a
Default OT: Future?

Note: Turn on your speakers!!

http://oak.psych.gatech.edu/~epic/ols-master.html

Srini.


  #2  
Old 14th April 2005, 03:30 AM
David Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: OT: Future?

JFN wrote:

>Srinivasan Iyer wrote:
>
>
>
>>Note: Turn on your speakers!!
>>
>>http://oak.psych.gatech.edu/~epic/ols-master.html
>>
>>Srini.
>>
>>

>
>Frightening...
>
>
>

Glad I'll be checking out by then ....
  #3  
Old 14th April 2005, 04:14 AM
JFN
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: OT: Future?

Srinivasan Iyer wrote:

> Note: Turn on your speakers!!
>
> http://oak.psych.gatech.edu/~epic/ols-master.html
>
> Srini.


Frightening...

--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux (EU)
  #4  
Old 14th April 2005, 11:04 AM
Q Correll
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: OT: Future?

Srini,

| Note: Turn on your speakers!!

Cool!

Thanks!!!

--
Q

04/13/2005 17:03:52

XanaNews Version 1.17.2.6 [Q's null quote salutation]
  #5  
Old 14th April 2005, 06:02 PM
Stefan Paege
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: OT: Future?

> http://oak.psych.gatech.edu/~epic/ols-master.html

Very well done and - as JF said - indeed frightening.

--


Elektronik-Labor Carls GmbH & Co. KG

Stefan Paege

Fon: +49 5973 9497-23
Fax: +49 5973 9497-19
  #6  
Old 14th April 2005, 06:48 PM
Harry de Boer
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Future?

LS

2014 ???? I thought we were already nearly there Indeed frightening,
however one brightsight: the costs of ePaper turning below 'normal' paper is
so good for the enviroment. I hope that all devices still will have a 'Power
down' button (makes you wonder if Bill had his glimpse of this future too
and that made him decide to caption this button 'Start'). Wasn't it Ray
Bradburry's scifi novel -written in the sixties?- Fahrrenheit 451 that
warned us for a society where reading anything else then the -personalized-
information (such as novels) had to be punished. That's my fear: they call
it personal info, but shouldn't you yourself be the gatherer and judge of
that?

Well... my thoughts.

Regards,
Harry



"Srinivasan Iyer" <iyer1@optonline.net> schreef in bericht
news:425d1569$1@wic040d....
> Note: Turn on your speakers!!
>
> http://oak.psych.gatech.edu/~epic/ols-master.html
>
> Srini.
>
>



  #7  
Old 14th April 2005, 11:39 PM
Hannes Danzl[NDD]
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Future?

> 2014 ???? I thought we were already nearly there Indeed frightening,

why frightening? There's sooooo much more going on in the world that concerns
me much much much more

--
Hannes Danzl [NexusDB Developer]
Newsgroup archive at http://www.tamaracka.com/search.htm
  #8  
Old 15th April 2005, 04:04 AM
Harry de Boer
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Future?

Hannes

....well... there are indeed lots of things going on, agreed. For this
matter: as long as information comes to us in a way that we ourselve can
analyse it and can create our own opinion based on pro's and con's it
should be allright.

Harry

"Hannes Danzl[NDD]" <hannes@nexusdb.dbnexus.com> schreef in bericht
news:xn0e106w9hikxy002@news.nexusdb.com...
> > 2014 ???? I thought we were already nearly there Indeed frightening,

>
> why frightening? There's sooooo much more going on in the world that

concerns
> me much much much more
>
> --
> Hannes Danzl [NexusDB Developer]
> Newsgroup archive at http://www.tamaracka.com/search.htm



  #9  
Old 15th April 2005, 07:41 AM
Robert Meek
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Future?

Actually you got that backwards. F451 warned us of a society where
personalized accounts and fiction were detrimental to society, 1984 written
before Ray's work warned us of a time when language itself was the enemy and
thus the dictionary of newSpeak was invented so as to introduce as much
ambiguity and as little truth as possible into what we read and thus
thought. Thoreau, ( I probably spelled that wrong! <g> ), said there is NO
history...only biography! and though I tend to agree with the truth of this
statement, the loss of the 4th estate will indeed make it a practical
reality!
Mankind's ONLY saving lies within his ability to imagine. The "Doctrine
of Imagination" says that the future...that any possible futures...rely upon
man's ability to imagine them. History, if it can still be believed, proves
this to be true, for mankind has only gone where he has imagined it will.
Mankind has only invented and discovered what he has imagined he will or
that he imagines to be true. We are both the creators of and the product of
our imagined reality. Anything else brought into the equation is
miss-interpretation of cause and effect.

--
from Robert Meek dba "Tangentals Design"
Personal e-mail: rmeek1@comcast.net

-------------------------------------------------
visit us on the World Wide Web and pick up
your free copy of "The Keep" at:

http://www.TangentalsDesign.com

E-mail us at one of the following:

information@tangentalsdesign.com
feedback@tangentalsdesign.com
support@tangentalsdesign.com
-------------------------------------------------

"Harry de Boer" <harry@staaf.nl> wrote in message
news:425e2231$1@wic040d....
> LS
>
> 2014 ???? I thought we were already nearly there Indeed frightening,
> however one brightsight: the costs of ePaper turning below 'normal' paper
> is
> so good for the enviroment. I hope that all devices still will have a
> 'Power
> down' button (makes you wonder if Bill had his glimpse of this future too
> and that made him decide to caption this button 'Start'). Wasn't it Ray
> Bradburry's scifi novel -written in the sixties?- Fahrrenheit 451 that
> warned us for a society where reading anything else then
> the -personalized-
> information (such as novels) had to be punished. That's my fear: they call
> it personal info, but shouldn't you yourself be the gatherer and judge of
> that?
>
> Well... my thoughts.
>
> Regards,
> Harry
>
>
>
> "Srinivasan Iyer" <iyer1@optonline.net> schreef in bericht
> news:425d1569$1@wic040d....
>> Note: Turn on your speakers!!
>>
>> http://oak.psych.gatech.edu/~epic/ols-master.html
>>
>> Srini.
>>
>>

>
>



  #10  
Old 15th April 2005, 11:02 AM
David Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Future?

Robert Meek wrote:

> Actually you got that backwards. F451 warned us of a society where
>personalized accounts and fiction were detrimental to society, 1984 written
>before Ray's work warned us of a time when language itself was the enemy and
>thus the dictionary of newSpeak was invented so as to introduce as much
>ambiguity and as little truth as possible into what we read and thus
>thought. Thoreau, ( I probably spelled that wrong! <g> ), said there is NO
>history...only biography! and though I tend to agree with the truth of this
>statement, the loss of the 4th estate will indeed make it a practical
>reality!
> Mankind's ONLY saving lies within his ability to imagine. The "Doctrine
>of Imagination" says that the future...that any possible futures...rely upon
>man's ability to imagine them. History, if it can still be believed, proves
>this to be true, for mankind has only gone where he has imagined it will.
>Mankind has only invented and discovered what he has imagined he will or
>that he imagines to be true. We are both the creators of and the product of
>our imagined reality. Anything else brought into the equation is
>miss-interpretation of cause and effect.
>
>
>

Really wonderfully thought out and said, Robert ...


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disable Aero - for future release Danijel Tkalcec nexusdb.public.support.portal 8 8th April 2010 06:24 PM
Lock Remote Keyboard and Mouse in a future release ... Danijel Tkalcec nexusdb.public.support.portal 5 24th March 2010 06:03 AM
Future request... Danijel Tkalcec nexusdb.public.support.portal 2 23rd March 2010 05:35 AM


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.