#1  
Old 15th March 2011, 10:16 AM
gorlaz gorlaz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Default New user...How to view content of nx1 files?

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this has been discussed before I couldn't find anything that suited in Search or on the website.

I've been tasked with reading content from a series of nx1 files ("what's in those nx1 files - find out would you!").

So having identified they're nexus db files (one table per file?), I noticed that there's an ODBC connector trial. Awesome. I'll use my extremely limited skills to create a User DSN via Nexus ODBC connector (win7 x86) then try to set one of the nx1 files as the data source and build a dataset off it in Visual Studio 2010 (which again I'm new to but I can usually end up with at least a view of the data).

When I bring up the Nexus ODBC window it doesn't give me an option to select a NX1 file, it's asking for a server?

Am I going about this the wrong way / what's the easiest/best way to view the nx1 file data?

Many thanks,
Liam
  #2  
Old 15th March 2011, 10:25 AM
Will Owyong [NDX]
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New user...How to view content of nx1 files?

"gorlaz" <gorlaz.4qm1mi@nx-forums.nexusdb.com> wrote in message
news:gorlaz.4qm1mi@nx-forums.nexusdb.com...
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> Apologies if this has been discussed before I couldn't find anything
> that suited in Search or on the website.
>
> I've been tasked with reading content from a series of nx1 files
> ("what's in those nx1 files - find out would you!").
>
> So having identified they're nexus db files (one table per file?), I
> noticed that there's an ODBC connector trial. Awesome. I'll use my
> extremely limited skills to create a User DSN via Nexus ODBC connector
> (win7 x86) then try to set one of the nx1 files as the data source and
> build a dataset off it in Visual Studio 2010 (which again I'm new to but
> I can usually end up with at least a view of the data).
>
> When I bring up the Nexus ODBC window it doesn't give me an option to
> select a NX1 file, it's asking for a server?
>
> Am I going about this the wrong way / what's the easiest/best way to
> view the nx1 file data?
>
> Many thanks,
> Liam


Hi Liam

*.nx1 files are your individual database tables. There are several ways in
which you can access them but you should start with the simplest way -
client server approach using the nxServer.

To view your nx1 files you need to create a database alias on your nxServer
pertaining to the folder which stores these tables. Once you have done that
you can then begin to access the data by connecting to that database alias.
--
Regards
Will Owyong [NDX]
Newcastle, NSW, AUSTRALIA
GMT+10


  #3  
Old 15th March 2011, 01:21 PM
Eivind Bakkestuen [NDD]
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New user...How to view content of nx1 files?

> When I bring up the Nexus ODBC window it doesn't give me an option to
> select a NX1 file, it's asking for a server?


The ODBC window is for creating a connection to a database (google
"odbc dns"), not to select individual tables.

> Am I going about this the wrong way / what's the easiest/best way to
> view the nx1 file data?


Once you have set up the connection you should be able to use this in
VS to browse the tables.

--
Eivind Bakkestuen [NDD]
  #4  
Old 15th March 2011, 02:44 PM
gorlaz gorlaz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind Bakkestuen [NDD] View Post

The ODBC window is for creating a connection to a database (google
"odbc dns"), not to select individual tables.

Once you have set up the connection you should be able to use this in
VS to browse the tables.
Thanks Eivind. I guess I'm more used to single file databases that encompass the tables (Access/MSSQL) and so a ODBC would normally have worked. My newness to Nexus is showing.

So, that said, I need to look at;
* Installing NXServer
* Create a database alias to the folder holding the files I want to view
* Connect to database alias using the ODBC in VS
* View table data and eat cake

Cheers,
Liam
  #5  
Old 15th March 2011, 02:48 PM
gorlaz gorlaz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorlaz View Post

So, that said, I need to look at;
* Installing NXServer
Um ok - feel silly asking this question but where is the NXServer trial located?
  #6  
Old 15th March 2011, 02:49 PM
gorlaz gorlaz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Default

Found NX Server
  #7  
Old 15th March 2011, 02:57 PM
gorlaz gorlaz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Default

Ended up downloading both NXServer and NexusDB Enterprise Manager, creating the database alias to the folder containing files then browsing the tables directly.

Thanks guys - much appreciate the help to get this going.

Follow up question is using the ODBC connector is it possible to add/edit/delete data in the tables from VS?
  #8  
Old 15th March 2011, 03:11 PM
Will Owyong [NDX]
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New user...How to view content of nx1 files?


"gorlaz" <gorlaz.4qmeti@nx-forums.nexusdb.com> wrote in message
news:gorlaz.4qmeti@nx-forums.nexusdb.com...
....
> Follow up question is using the ODBC connector is it possible to
> add/edit/delete data in the tables from VS?


Don't forget to check out

nexusdb.public.support.odbc

You may find some more ODBC related answers there too.
--
Regards
Will Owyong [NDX]
Newcastle, NSW, AUSTRALIA
GMT+10


  #9  
Old 15th March 2011, 03:19 PM
gorlaz gorlaz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Default

Realised I was barking up the wrong tree.

Should have been looking at ADO.NET provider not ODBC.

Will follow up in that group if I have further issues.

Thanks Will.
  #10  
Old 15th March 2011, 04:12 PM
Eivind Bakkestuen [NDD]
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New user...How to view content of nx1 files?

> So, that said, I need to look at;
> * Installing NXServer
> * Create a database alias to the folder holding the files I want to
> view


http://www.nexusdb.com/support/index...bservergui.htm

--
Eivind Bakkestuen [NDD]


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to avoid the window the requested content lock could not be granted? Ad Franse nexusdb.public.support 12 7th August 2014 06:35 PM
Web Application - Support Content-Encoding: gzip jprenou nexusdb.public.discussions 3 9th November 2010 05:11 AM
How to avoid the window the requested content lock could not be granted? Ad Franse Binaries 0 29th June 2009 06:08 PM
View from a view =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Cl=E9mentDoss?= nexusdb.public.support 0 3rd June 2009 09:39 AM
detecting remote WAN user and LAN user Peter Sanders nexusdb.public.support 13 2nd May 2007 01:47 PM


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.