#1  
Old 7th May 2014, 05:17 AM
David Rose
 
Posts: n/a
Default Can't connect via TCP/IP

I've got an odd situation on a customer's server and would be grateful
of any ideas.

Machines IP address is 192.168.1.200.
Running the nexus server (custom build), it won't accept any TCP/IP
connections on 192.168.1.200, either via the browser (and port 10088)
nor from Enterprise Manager (via Port 16000).
However if I try to connect using 127.0.0.1, then both the browser and
EM can connect.
When I look at the NX Server's stats page, the TCP/IP page shows the IP
address correctly as 192.168.1.200 and I can also RDP to the machine
using that IP address. From the RDP session I can Ping 192.168.1.200 and
it replies in a couple of mS, as expected.
Windows firewall is disabled and I can't see any evidence of any other
firewall (nor much other software to be honest - only three apps
installed are my server, my client and Team Viewer).

There's nothing relevant in the Event Log and I've tried rebooting the
machine in case something had become stale, but no joy.

Anyone have any other ideas as to what might be causing this problem ?

Thanks

David
  #2  
Old 7th May 2014, 11:40 AM
Will Owyong
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can't connect via TCP/IP

On 7/05/2014 4:17 AM, David Rose wrote:
> I've got an odd situation on a customer's server and would be grateful
> of any ideas.


What version of Windows is the client's server running?

>
> Machines IP address is 192.168.1.200.
> Running the nexus server (custom build), it won't accept any TCP/IP
> connections on 192.168.1.200, either via the browser (and port 10088)
> nor from Enterprise Manager (via Port 16000).


Maybe check the router for any unusual port forwarding services running
on the network, in particular anything redirecting or blocking the
relevant ports.

Also check to make sure the nxServer winsock transport is running
properly. The nxServer may be running but the transport could be having
troubles if other services are attempting to use the same ports.

> However if I try to connect using 127.0.0.1, then both the browser and
> EM can connect.


127.0.0.1 is internal 'localhost' IP and can only be used directly on
the server. I don't think it actually uses the physical LAN. Connecting
through this way may be using the shared memory transport(?) and not the
winsock transport.

> When I look at the NX Server's stats page, the TCP/IP page shows the IP
> address correctly as 192.168.1.200 and I can also RDP to the machine
> using that IP address. From the RDP session I can Ping 192.168.1.200 and
> it replies in a couple of mS, as expected.
> Windows firewall is disabled and I can't see any evidence of any other
> firewall (nor much other software to be honest - only three apps
> installed are my server, my client and Team Viewer).


If there was anti-virus installed I'd be adding nxServer to the
'Exceptions' list.

>
> There's nothing relevant in the Event Log and I've tried rebooting the
> machine in case something had become stale, but no joy.
>
> Anyone have any other ideas as to what might be causing this problem ?


Possibly check network configuration? In the "Network and Sharing
Center" there's a "Change advanced sharing settings" section with
sharing options, including network discovery, for each type of network
(Home/Work, Public, Domain).

--
Regards,
Will Owyong
(GMT+10, Australia)
  #3  
Old 7th May 2014, 01:08 PM
Eivind Bakkestuen [NDD]
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can't connect via TCP/IP

> 127.0.0.1 is internal 'localhost' IP and can only be used directly on
> the server. I don't think it actually uses the physical LAN.
> Connecting through this way may be using the shared memory
> transport(?) and not the winsock transport.


No, that would never happen; 127.0.0.1 is still an IP address, and the
winsock transport is used. Transports don't morph into an entirely
different type of transport, at least not in this universe.



--
Eivind Bakkestuen [NDD]
  #4  
Old 7th May 2014, 01:29 PM
Will Owyong
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can't connect via TCP/IP

On 7/05/2014 12:08 PM, Eivind Bakkestuen [NDD] wrote:

> No, that would never happen; 127.0.0.1 is still an IP address, and the
> winsock transport is used.


Then should it be listed (despite probably being a given) in the 'Server
Addresses' section of the TCP/IPv4 Transport section?

--
Regards,
Will Owyong
(GMT+10, Australia)
  #5  
Old 7th May 2014, 02:13 PM
Eivind Bakkestuen [NDD]
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can't connect via TCP/IP

> Then should it be listed (despite probably being a given) in the
> 'Server Addresses' section of the TCP/IPv4 Transport section?


Not really, that section lists actual, physical network interfaces.

--
Eivind Bakkestuen [NDD]
  #6  
Old 7th May 2014, 09:15 PM
David Rose
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can't connect via TCP/IP

On 07/05/2014 01:40, Will Owyong wrote:
>
> What version of Windows is the client's server running?
>


Windows 2012


>>
>> Machines IP address is 192.168.1.200.
>> Running the nexus server (custom build), it won't accept any TCP/IP
>> connections on 192.168.1.200, either via the browser (and port 10088)
>> nor from Enterprise Manager (via Port 16000).

>
> Maybe check the router for any unusual port forwarding services running
> on the network, in particular anything redirecting or blocking the
> relevant ports.
>


It's all on one machine, so not sure how the router would affect this.
When I ran NETSTAT to see what was listening, the only thing listening
on port 16000 & 10088 was the NX Server.

> Also check to make sure the nxServer winsock transport is running
> properly. The nxServer may be running but the transport could be having
> troubles if other services are attempting to use the same ports.


Then presumably the 127 address wouldn't work ?
>
>
> If there was anti-virus installed I'd be adding nxServer to the
> 'Exceptions' list.
>

Doesn't look like there is
>>

> Possibly check network configuration? In the "Network and Sharing
> Center" there's a "Change advanced sharing settings" section with
> sharing options, including network discovery, for each type of network
> (Home/Work, Public, Domain).


Will need to get access again from the customer to check this out.

David




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
connect to nexusdb3 fatemesoleimani nexusdb.public.discussions 1 6th March 2014 12:55 PM
CanĀ“t connect to nxServer Samuel nexusdb.public.support 2 26th November 2011 09:48 PM
The EM can connect in another port ? Samuel nexusdb.public.support 2 29th January 2011 09:37 AM
New server- can't connect John Turner nexusdb.public.support 5 3rd August 2010 01:10 PM
Can't connect to Server Wolfgang Rieder nexusdb.public.support 2 6th February 2004 01:23 AM


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.